Van Gogh Museum Amsterdam – Netherlands
The Netherlands Central Government Real Estate Agency realized a ten-year agreement for all electrotechnical, mechanical and structural maintenance to the Van Gogh Museum
The Central Government Real Estate Agency (RVB, Rijksvastgoedbedrijf) operates a large real estate portfolio. Despite this broad expertise, the Van Gogh Museum surprised the building owner with a unique request. The museum was seeking to revolutionise building maintenance by specifying usage aspects rather than technical actions. The museum’s core task was to serve as a starting point for all maintenance work. Every aspect of the innovative maintenance contract was designed to keep Van Gogh’s works in optimal condition and accessible to the largest possible audience. Rather than contractually enforcing the contractor’s best efforts, this was achieved by jointly identifying the required performances, using them as the basic indicators and monitoring them throughout the process.
The RVB and the Van Gogh Museum organised a broadly-oriented market consultation in order to ensure that the tender was manageable for market parties. No less than 19 market parties provided them with input in response.
The RVB concluded a ten-year agreement for all electrotechnical, mechanical and structural maintenance. To this end, the commissioning party translated requirements in the area of comfort, uninterrupted business operations, health and sustainability into no less than 29 Key Performance Indicators in close consultation with the Van Gogh Museum.
Strukton Worksphere successfully demonstrated its ability to ensure the requested performance levels on the basis of the existing installations and systems.
In January 2017 the three main partners have been awarded as ‚Best collaboration in the building sector‘, as well by the Jury as by the Public. The Van Gogh Museum has also been awarded with the first European BREEAM-NL In-Use sustainability certificate ‘Very Good’.
Total net floor area: 18.500 m2
- 5.500 visitors per day
- Specific climate control for each room
- 29 key performance indicators for comfort, unirrupted business operations, maximum safety for people and for the art collecion, health and sustainability
- RGD BOEI manuals and maintenance training
Innovations and Clients Advantages
- Three main partners are The Central Government Real Estate Agency, the Van Gogh Museum and contractor Strukton Worksphere
- In January 2017 the three main partners have been awarded as ‚Best collaboration in the building sector‘, as well by the Jury as by the Public
- The Van Gogh Museum has been awarded with the first European BREEAM-NL In-Use sustainability certificate ‘Very Good’